R2 Certified Electronics Recycling
For businesses and government agencies trying to get rid of their old electronics responsibly and safely, hiring an accredited recycler is the best step to take to make sure getting a faster computer does not mean doing damage to the environment or the employees handling it.
R2 certification, offered by r2 Solutions, an independent, non-profit organization, assures clients that their old electronics will be properly disposed of and the data stored in them will be safely removed.
R2 Certification Focuses on the Following:
- Making sure the recycler has a written plan for disposing of each component of the product and includes a plan for emergencies
- Monitoring any vendors or companies the components are sent to in order to assure they are also following best practices in recycling
- Adhering to all national and international laws around disposing of any hazardous waste, including making sure no toxic components are taken to landfills
- Guaranteeing that workers handling the products, including those in other countries, are protected by appropriate occupational safety regulations
- Certifying that all data on old machines is properly and permanently erased and that any sensitive data is protected
To get the R2 Certification, companies must hire an accredited certifying agency to give an independent audit around the standards required. That audit included a detailed look at their paperwork as well as an on-site visit to any facility doing the work.
In addition, after gaining certification, a recycling company must continue to submit to an audit each year and then go through the entire certification process every three years.
R2 is the leading standard for the electronics recycling industry, setting a high bar for practices that protect the environment, human health, safety and the security of the recycling process.